Thursday, September 18, 2014

In the grand scheme of things, this blog post is completely insignificant and therefore its existence is pointless.

don't make friends easily. I have a low threshold for bullshit. I can't stand small talk. Shared interests are good, but someone who can go toe-to-toe on a deeper level will have my ultimate admiration. But it takes me a long time to trust someone enough to share my thoughts and opinions. 

It takes time for me to find my voice. That's (one reason) why I write. It gives me time to form my thoughts into something cohesive (and hopefully more meaningful) than I can convey when speaking. Moreover, in our tl;dr culture, it allows my message to reach only those who care enough to read it. Because to me, there are few things worse than wasting my breath on people who aren't listening. 

But some days, I can't find my audience. My voice is lost in the ether. "No one is going to read your work because no one cares. Everyone is caught up in their own day-to-day. Or they are simply not interested in what you have to say. Maybe what you're saying isn't actually that interesting."

Some days those few friends who have my utmost admiration seem so far away. Why is it so difficult to stay in touch? Physical limitations and busy work-schedules keep us apart. And the creeping insecurity that maybe I'm not worthy of their time. 

Some days I wake up with the crushing weight of my own insignificance. These nihilistic thoughts make it hard to get out of bed, make it impossible to hold my head high. And I want to crawl into a dark corner and stop existing. Because nothing matters, least of all me. It's hard to climb out of that spiraling web without getting eaten alive. The best I can do is get up, force myself to shower, go to work, and pretend like everything isn't just a marking of the passage of time as we march closer to our deaths. 



I don't always feel this way. Some days are bright and wonderful and I'm so inspired and the world is full of beauty and truth and love. I remind myself that those days are what make life worth living. Even if there is no point to any of it, there are feelings, emotions. And life goes on. 

I've been searching my whole life for someone who truly loves me. Someone who gets me, who understands me. Someone who loves my personality, my wit -- not just what I do for them or the way I make them feel. It took me a long time to realize that someone should be me. 

Some days I still forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment