Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Semi-colon Project

When I used to cut myself, it was a way to cope with all the awful thoughts in my head -- that voice telling me I was never good enough. I realized -- with the help of my friends -- that it was getting too dangerous and that I had to stop. The day I brought my razor to school to cut myself in class, I had a moment of clarity seeing myself from an outside perspective. "You can't even go a few hours while you're in school without hurting yourself? This is a problem!" I told myself, and this time it wasn't that awful abusive voice in my head -- it was someone I hadn't heard from in awhile: me. The real, rational, intelligent me.

Let's forget for a second what "normal" is. I was not, am not normal -- whatever that means. Cutting was not HEALTHY. I was not healthy. I hadn't viewed it in those terms before. It was always good/bad, or right/wrong, or normal/fucked up. But mostly I just saw it as a way to get by, to get through each day. And I didn't do it every day. But knowing it was an option was enough. 

Quitting wouldn't be hard, I thought. But what am I supposed to do with all these FEELINGS? And those moments when it all got to be too much? I feel really lucky to have grown up at the real rise of the Internet (and before there were camera phones). People online were sharing their stories of why they cut and how they stopped. Two really important things happened when I read their stories: 1. I realized I was not alone. Not in my feelings or in my actions. And B. I wasn't the first one who had to do this. People had lived through whatever it was I was dealing with, and they got better. And what was this? I remain undiagnosed to this day, so I call it depression because that is all I know for sure that it is. And what exactly was the goal here?

The goal was to get better, by myself. Because no one else was going to do it for me. 

Not that they should or that I expected them too. They couldn't. It all came down to me. 

One mantra I adopted and repeated constantly: YOU are the only one who decides your feelings. No one makes you feel a certain way. Happiness doesn't come from someone else. It comes from within. And if it doesn't, you fake it till you make it! Smiling, no matter how fake, actually gives the smiler the same feelings of happiness as if the smile were real. 

The most important thing I learned was this: when you feel like cutting, wait 15 minutes. If you still feel like cutting after that, wait another 15 minutes (ad infinitum). This gives you time to focus on something else, to distract yourself, to get your mind out of the rut it's in. Use that 15 minutes to just breathe. Or color. Or listen to music. Just don't cut. 

I also gave myself permission to smoke a cigarette instead of cutting. It seemed like a healthier alternative because it was more socially acceptable. In reality, I was making a poor health decision that the future me would have to deal with. Once I had quit cutting, I ended up being addicted to cigarettes, which was a different but even more difficult habit to break (6 years smoke-free in February! Woop woop!). And when people would say, "Those things'll kill ya, you know." I'd respond, "Good." Because I still had days that I wanted to die. 

I read that I should make a list of at least 5 things I like about myself and hang them on my mirror and repeat them whenever I started to have those negative thoughts. It sounded really fucking cheesy. I really did NOT want to do it. Honestly, I think I was afraid I really wouldn't be able to come up with 5 things. That's how low my self-esteem was. 

I started to recognize when that critical voice popped up, and that was the first step. Recognizing it, I could at least stop from getting stuck in the loop of negativity. Because it always snowballed. It would start with a rumination on one small thing and escalate into an imagining of all the horrible things others must think of me and end with a list of every fuck up I'd ever made. 

Then I could start to replace those thoughts with positive affirmations. Again it felt cheesy and insincere, initially. "I like the color of my hair." *eyeroll* But the more I did it, the more things I found I could compliment myself on -- honest things, deeper things. "I can tell an engaging story." I don't know, guys, it's still hard to do. But you just do it. Because that's the only way to shut up that other voice. 

And I started watching for things to look forward to. A trip to the lake, a shopping trip with friends, a sleepover, holidays, a car ride. Things in the future -- days or weeks, but preferably months ahead. If it was something I could plan, even better. Planning gives you hope. And hope is all you need (forget love, the Beatles had it wrong). 

I found a Tumblr not too long ago called The Butterfly Project. To support people who self-harm or to avoid self-harming, you draw a butterfly on your arm. You can name it after a person in your life who supports your journey to good health (or after your friend if you are a supporter). You leave it there as a reminder of why you shouldn't self-harm. It's really a beautiful idea and there are folks on there with butterflies drawn all over their arms to support their loved ones. 

The Semi-Colon Project is similar, except instead of butterflies, you draw a semi-colon for Suicide Prevention. Because an author uses a semi-colon when a sentence could have been ended, but wasn't. (Hint: it's a metaphor.) A semi-colon tells the reader to pause; but keep going. I have one tattooed on my wrist in white ink. The white ink is a reference to the white scars that are still visible on my arm over ten years later. Proof that the Future You will have to deal with the consequences of the decisions you make today. 

Anyway, searching the Semi-Colon Project, I saw a Tumblr post today that was absolutely stunning. 




"3,600 seconds. SECONDS. Mere seconds that separate you from life and death, from ending your life and from something extraordinary happening."

It's your story. Don't end it.

No comments:

Post a Comment